This the a most fascinatiing natural phenomemon that occurs in Hawaii. They make their 3,000 mile journey from Alaska to Hawaii. The whales come to mate, give birth and raise their calves.
The Hawaiian islands is a unique location that is virtually predator fee with warm waters and a variety of ocean depts and the wonderful visibility that is believed to brings them here.
Just a few facts about the Humpback Whale;
- Adult humpbacks may get up to 45 feet and 40 tons.
- Life expectancy is 50 years.
- They do not sleep.
- They have very few predators...Humans...sharks and orcas.
- They do not feed while in Hawaii, they live off their fat built up while feeding in Alaska.
- Gestation is 11-12 months.
- Average calf is 1 to 1.5 tons and is 12 - 14 feet long at birth
- Mother humpback with teach the baby things like breaching, tail slapping and other whale behavior while in Hawaiian waters.
- Calf will gain about 100 pounds and one inch per day.
- The humpback whale was once near extinction due to hunting. They are still on the endangered list but their number are growing.
Maui Whale - Free videos are just a click away